Tuesday, August 4, 2009

This is the day.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Following Yesterday's Post, I thought this would be a good time to give my own personal testimony of salvation. I was born into a home where my parents were really trying to do right. Both my parents were in church and were trying to serve the Lord, my Dad was even "preaching." My parents were not saved when I was born, but got saved only a few years after my birth. I do not remember unsaved parents. However, God does not have grandchildren! At the age of four years old, I realized my sinful condition, and went forward, was dealt with, and made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ. I did not, however, get saved at four years old. Although many young people in my position at that time would have always been told they were really saved, I thank my Dad and Mom for emphasizing the importance of having assurance of salvation. I went on in a state of doubts and fears for eleven more years, not knowing whether or not I was saved, and never being free from the conviction of the Holy Spirit in my life. During this time I made numerous "professions," and tried to sooth my nagging conscience by pinpointing dates and times, and trusting in them to take care of my conviction.
When I was fifteen, things changed! On a Tuesday in September, my twelve year old sister began to complain with severe stomach pain. Wednesday, a week and a day later, she had passed away. The awful realization that I was not saved, sunk in, and I became consumed with fear, and began to have anxiety attacks when I was left alone. I ended up going through counselling to learn to cope with these fears. This worked, to a point, but there was a much greater need in my life than learning to cope, I still needed to be saved.
On May 31, 2001, my aunt called my brother, who was already saved, and me inviting us to a revival meeting at Nimitz Missionary Baptist Church in Nimitz, WV. I went with them, though reluctantly. J. Bennett Collins was preaching that night, and he preached on Adam and Eve, and why the were saved. At the end of the service, I raised my hand, and then go up to leave. Mr. Collins met me at the back door, and asked if he could help me. I broke down and went to the front with him. He began to talk to me, and then showed me John 1:12. I realized that I was a sinner, and accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour that night. Almost immediately the fears and anxiety left my life, and I have been able to deal with it ever since.

Please, do not fall into Satan's trap of accepting a false profession. If you have no assurance of salvation. You probably are not saved and need to let God give you the power (John 1:12) to become His son.

No comments: